Wednesday 15 August 2012


I’m here!

Travel, first impressions and becoming a Hawkeye...


After spending around 3 days impatiently pottering around, checking off last minute ‘to do’ 

lists and generally annoying people around me, I shuffled off to board my American Airlines 

flight (shuffling due to my suitcase and hand luggage, which is simply not easy for me - a 

clumsy blonde at best - to maneuver).  And I would thus be shuffling for 2 days of travel.  



Problems of travelling alone:

1.  Shuffling instead of walking, feeling like you have to drag around an extra, uncooperative person EVERYWHERE you go.  

2.  People assigning you to a new family (I must not look like a lone traveller embarking on 
an adventure).

3.  Being called ‘sweetie’ by the American flight attendant.  I have decided ‘sweetie’ is the American equivalent of ‘babe’, which is automatically responded to with an irrepressible,horrified look on my face.

4.  Being asked to move for other people’s convenience (unless it’s to first class - obviously this didn’t happen). I changed seats no more than twice on the flight, I drew the line at that.


3 first impressions:

1.  Americans are friendly (excluding the immigration officer, who merely grunted at my presence).  I don’t know whether this is through habit or if they are genuinely happy to help a bewildered Brit, but there is almost always someone there to ask “how’s it going?” (this is answered in a typical awkward British way - “erm, yes, I’m fine thanks. I think. Thank you for asking.”).  When I arrived at Chicago airport, I felt like I’d made an acquaintance in Wendy, the flight attendant in just 10 minutes.  By the end of our shuttle ride I knew where she went to school, her husband’s name, where she’d travelled to and which football team she supported.  Wendy was very chatty.

2.  Americans never walk.  I love to walk most places if I can, especially at uni.  Americans don’t like to walk.  Even walking to Walmart which is directly across the street AND visible from my window (I know, what a view eh?!) is pretty extreme walking.  There are no footpaths and a sprint across the highway is essential - Imagine doing this carrying bedding and a bin full of stuff. Not fun.

3.  Chinese like to study here.  So many Chinese!! Now I know how my friend, Helen, feels when she’s in maths and finance lectures. My whole international student orientation has been moulded around the 90% of Chinese students attending the University of Iowa.  I have been taught about acceptable conversation topics (weather, sports, hobbies) and what to avoid (NEVER talk about religion or politics).  I have also been informed that if I do not attend my english speaking classes I WILL get deported.  The small group of Europeans at the orientation stuck together and decided that the information given can also double up as amusing material for future use.  



SO apparently I am officially a Hawkeye (an Iowa student and fan of ALL Hawkeye sports - 

mostly American football).  There is no option here, there’s no return policy on your Hawkeye 

status.  Apparently “Once a Hawkeye, always a Hawkeye”. And now I feel obliged to buy as 

much merchandise as I can fit in my wardrobe.  Go Hawks!...I guess?!


Hannah x


P.S. I have photos to come which document my adventure so far, yey :). Just as soon as I 

have wifi up and running!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh how exciting! Was lovely to chat today little bestie. Can't wait for our Sunday night skype date/rant/life advice xxxxx

    ReplyDelete