Thursday 30 August 2012

Iowa City in Pictures

A taste of what I see daily in Iowa City - a place full of culture, with an almost small town feel.  I love it!


 Campus...

My newly Americanised feet, rocking the Sperry's - a must have on campus (I'm told). And so I HAD to buy them. 




The front of campus and one of the many green areas to chill or read and a good meeting place!
Walking to class with the Old Capitol building in the distance. 

I HAD to take this to show how busy it is!! Never have I experienced so many backpacks in one place.


The view of the other side of campus, which doesn't look out over downtown Iowa City.  This leads out to Coralville, across the Iowa river.
I did not expect a Museum of Natural History ON CAMPUS! 


I'm not the only one who rides a bike!  A bit like Amsterdam, but without the canals and erm...stuff
Hmm. I wonder if this is the fraternity Ashton Kutcher was part of? I wonder if he visits....

 We're Going Downtown...

View from the main street to Campus
Clinton Street 
Moving into a fairly cultural quarter of the city...


I guess you'll have to visit if you want to know the story!


I've seen two pianos so far, just placed around the city for people to play. This guy was pretty damn good!

I love the shops here!!


I wondered if they were catering for the international student audience?


This was old school inside and out. I wish I had a record player.

My favourite thing in here was a shirt saying "Midwest is Best".


The Englert Theatre

Starting to look like a shopaholic here...BUT this another cool vintage shop I came across.



Dubuque street. Good books and sandwiches are both found here!



Prairie Lights - Iowa City's bookstore.  One of the most successful independent bookstores in the U.S.A. They have regular literary readings from well known and not so well known authors.



Some very believable street art.



Literature is everywhere...resonating the fact that Iowa City is a UNESCO city of literature; it really is the place to study English!





2 comments:

  1. It looks sooo nice Han! (obviously you had me at the vintage shops). Sort of different to SF ha. CAN'T WAIT to visit! Love xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so... American. I love it, and I'm so so jealous! Looks incredible.
    I can't believe you're actually there, and I'm loving the piano's :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete